Thursday, January 18, 2007

Negotiation Skills, Computer Skills, Weekends, Child-less Days

Today I have gratitude for...

Negotiation skills

Well, I'm not exactly sure if it's really negotiation or not, but here's the story. I put an order in for a new computer 2 weeks ago because my laptop screen was flaking out on me. It was suppose to be picked up last Friday, and it's 1 week behind schedule already for the pick up. I have called daily this week and last to find out when I can pick up my computer. Two days ago (Tuesday), they told me I can pick it up on Thursday. I called today, and they said I'll have to wait till next week because the case hasn't arrived yet! This is when I got a tad bit upset. To make the story short, I told them my expectation is that I get the computer delivered as promised. If not, they have to make it up to me. They suggested giving me a cheaper case. I suggested that would not be a good idea, since it is their problem and they really should make it up to me for my inconvenience. In the end, I got a call back saying they are willing to either upgrade the case for me or upgrade the CPU. According to the website, the CPU would have cost $60 + tax and the case about $20+tax. I'm not THAT dumb! I went for the better CPU and cheaper case! The thing is, after I ordered the machine, I thought that I should have spent a bit more on the CPU, but regretted it. Now I got what I wanted and didn't have to pay anything for it. Amazing. Maybe this "law of attraction" thing does work... Hmmm

Computer Skills

I promised a co-worker I would get the data off her old laptop. I did that today with a bit of trouble shooting. The darn thing wouldn't let me open any drives the conventional way in the windows interface. I have to thank my DOS days again for this... :) Who would have thought they would need to use the xcopy /s command in this day in age! yikes!

I also secured a wireless network for the VP. He actually brought the whole laptop and router in. Easy fix.

It feels nice to be able to help people solve their problems. As minor it is for me, I know they wouldn't have been able to do it at all.

Weekends

I am really looking forward to seeing my friends this weekend. That is my top priority these days. I spent the night Wednesday at Kaarin's place. We made dinner, watched a movie, chatted about life and work. It was so much fun. So relaxing for a weeknight!

Child-less days

Kaarin has a 2.5 year old. As much fun as they are at work or seeing them for short periods of time, children are just not the same when they live with you. I think I'll remain child-less for a few more years yet. As much fun and pleasure they are to have, there are some really sobering consequences to your way of living.

No comments: