Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Pride 2005

This year has been something different in terms of pride festivities. I had spent the majority of the time serving beer at the 519. Having done the job last year before, as the tent supervisor, I got better at doing it this year. I think I had a better perspective of what needs to be done, how to make sure people know what they are doing, and giving mini training sessions that encompass everything the volunteers need before they start serving. It helped a lot that we had many that helped out both days for a few hours. By the end of the day, my voice was shot, my feet hurt and was damned tired. My pouring skills are still up to snuff as well, especially the double handed pour! PM has been mocking me the whole time since I don’t like to promote alcoholism and binge drinking. It does seem like an oxymoron, but it's the biggest fundraiser for the community centre of the year. I had sent notice to many people to come visit me at work, and a few did. It was so nice to see people I knew in the sea of people that lined up for beer. I was a bit disappointed that certain people didn't make an appearance though.

I had decided to work both days of pride in hopes I’d see some hotties. The only hottie I wanted was the one behind the bar at 5ive. None really caught my attention while I was serving beer though. I did get lots of thanks for not pouring too much head.

I could still use some more work on managing my volunteers. There was one that I had suspected of stealing tickets, but I wasn't sure until he just disappeared from his post. Friendly guy and kinda cute, so he was probably using it to his advantage. I also noticed a lot of the volunteers unhappy with the staff in charge because the volunteers felt the staff was pulling a power trip on them. At the same time, staff sees the bigger picture of what needs to be done. Very interesting observations.

No comments: